6 keys to SEO success for ANY website
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is the free way to boost your website’s presence in the search engine results pages (SERPs). SEO is not to be confused with Search Engine Marketing (SEM), which are the paid sponsored ads that also appear in search engine results pages, provided by Google AdWords or the like. SEO is completely free and is the practice of optimising your website code to appeal to search engines. SEO and SEM can work well together, or they can work completely independently.
So, what can you do to increase the chances of boosting your website up to the first or second page of the results pages?
- Basic common sense. SEO doesn’t have to be as complicated or expensive as many industry professionals make out – there is more simple common sense involved than you may believe!
- Good quality content. You won’t get penalised for having good quality, well written content that is aimed mainly at human beings. SEO doesn’t need to mean spammy content. Write your web content for your users first, and search engines second.
- Keep your website’s content up to date. If the footer of your website still says 2009, you’re not going to rank for relevant and recent content. Update price lists, update product offerings, update service area – just make sure your website is current and correct.
- Keep it simple. If your ideal customers are going to search for small business web design, make sure the keyword small business web design exists multiple times throughout your website!
- Perseverance. Rome wasn’t built in a day! As long as you are regularly adding fresh content, tweaking existing content, adding testimonials, adding case studies etc – you will begin to see results.
- And last but certainly NOT least – patience! Good rankings take time. You need to keep working on all of the above things, and you will start to see the results. In the meantime, you can consider running an SEM campaign as a quick fix while you continue to work on increasing your SEO rankings.
The golden rule of SEO is that search engines want to deliver the most relevant results to their users. So be relevant, be current and be real and you can’t go far wrong. And most of all – be patient!